Sunday, September 22, 2019

Fight the good Fight

Hi I am Ronnie I am 27 years old and a cancer survivor and this is my story...
  In 2008 I was 15 years old it would have been my first year of high school I was living in Israel and one night I spiked a high fever. So I went to the hospital and my labs showed cancer activity.  Specifically a form of Leukemia known as AML(Acute Myeloid Leukemia) at first my parents didn't tell me but about a week later they told me.So the consequences of that were I lost alot of friends because they weren't sure how to help me but my brothers dropped everything and flew to Israel to be there with me and my parents were there through the whole process they were my rocks at times like when I was put inside a bubble for a year.Honestly they are the reason I am alive.Since I had not been able to attend a high school I entered a GED diploma program graduating with honors. They tried to treat me with chemo,stem cell transplant and radiation which somehow to this day doctors don't know why but I became paralyzed it took 3 years until I was able to do it again with practice and physical therapy. Chemotherepy although it never really worked for me they said in April 2009 that I was in remission.After beating that cancer a few years later January 2017 I thought I saw something so I had a doctor in Slone Keagen hospital center,the doctor thought it was a birthmark at first but after a biopsy ,they found I had caught the cancer specifically Melanoma "skin cancer" which was easily fixed with surgery. My friends both before and after cancer would describe me as strong with a good heart trying to help everyone get rid of the bad in the world. Life get tough but I am proud of myself for staying alive even when things get difficult when I am stuck at home when other people my age would be out or how I get tired easily or the surgries I experienced.The big difference between when I was sick and after I went into remission or beat cancer is I feel more connection to the world and i feel more mature especially with the ability to understand others better and empathize with them. There is so much I will accomplish I am about to graduate from college with the honor of Comlaude with honors with my BA in psychology minor in criminal justice to become a therapist and help others.My message for those out there is life gets tough but there are others out there I just hope you never feel alone  


No comments:

Post a Comment