Monday, April 18, 2016

CP=Cool Person

Hi I am Raizel Goldberg I live in Bangor,Maine and am a Jew I am in my mid 20s and I am ready to share my thoughts on my disability Cerebral Palsy which is The part in the brain that controls muscles (cerebellum) doesn't work that well including fine and gross motor skills.... I was born premature and usually most premature babies have a high percentage of being diagnosed with CP. The levels of CP vary with six the highest and one the lowest... BH I'm on level 1 and a half... I wear leg braces up to my knees and use crutches for long distance. I was diagnosed and the Dr's. already knew from birth that something wrong, I was kept in hospital for 4 months under close observation due to medical complications and when I was about a year old, they gave the official diagnosis.This affect me in every day life by,Well, I missed lots of school due to many therapy and Dr. appts... And it definitely takes me longer to get to places. Most tasks take me longer to do than my regular peers. CP can affect different areas as well... I wear hearing aids and had a para throughout my elementary school years. Some people say that it can affect a person learning wise, I have had some issues with academics and needed help with that.
Thus, effects me both medically and emotionally so as I mentioned before, I do wear leg braces and use crutches when needed. I have a wheelchair but I try not to use it only when I really need to. Emotionally I went to many different therapists throughout the years to help me cope with struggles and triumphs. I BH never had a problem socially, it was more like that I had to learn how to cope with reality - that I have a disability and this is the way it's gonna stay. And yeah, I always feel like telling those therapists if they believe in Moshiach! I have a treatment plan which isI still require physical therapy sessions to keep my muscles from getting weak and do follow ups with Dr's once in while.
Discrimination is something that when I was younger, I definitely was labeled and it was very hard. But as I got older, people saw the real me and that my handicap doesn't define who I am! I'm so grateful for my wonderful parents, siblings, relatives and friends for truly helping me out in every possible way and for believing that I could set out to accomplish anything I want to do! Shout out to my close friend for giving me the opportunity to share my thoughts! She's an amazing person and I feel fortunate to have her as a friend! Last but certainly not least, Hashem. To my Father who has given me this challenge but at the same time He gave me so many strengths, resilience to keep on going and an amazing support system! I am grateful for this challenge cuz I really grow from it and it has helped me appreciate all my wonderful blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment