Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Average girl next door

Hi my name is Brenda Red… ya I know corny name especially when you learn the rainbow and physics and about  everything else you see and learn. Enough about my last name let me tell my story so to begin I have depression which is A mood disorder that causes persistent feelings of sadness and loss of interests. In Addition I have epilepsy which is central nervous system disorder/neuro disorder in which nerve cell activity in the brain becomes disrupted,causing seizures to occur.
Now that you see where this is going I will begin telling you about my unusual but it was a journey I have found to be disabled due to  SSDI purpose due to depression. However my depression seemed a big part of my life due to AED (Anti-epileptic drug) which  was my medication Keppra .
I was diagnosed with epilepsy at the age of twenty  nine. My medication Keppra  has side effects such as short term memory loss,mood issues etc. Some of which I experienced I stumble at times,can’t access words and feel sedated constantly.  The dose needed to be increased and I was unable to to continue my work as a licensed clinical  social worker. I was not discriminated against otherwise when jobs are involved.
I may just feel this way because I am a lawyer as well have a little to do with that fact. My seizures occur more at night/nocturnal, so I require no accommodations. Some of these things make it harder for me to practice law effectively ,do psychotherapy or safely drive. Since work is part of my identity I feel empty like I lost myself.
On the other hand,it has given me better insight with my clients due to personal experience. My family and friends are very supportive despite my difficulties. They are well-educated and loving,so I am fortunate in that respect with all the love, encouragement and support.

My average day is spent trying to manage my depression and epilepsy trying to get better. It is radically different then my first fifty years.   

No comments:

Post a Comment